Thunder Wave (move)

Facebook Twitter Google+ Email

Move data

Type Electric
Category Status Status
Power -
Accuracy 100
PP 20  (max. 32)
Introduced Generation 1

Technical/Hidden Machine

Red/Blue
Yellow
TM45
Diamond/Pearl
Platinum
HeartGold/SoulSilver
TM73
Black/White
Black 2/White 2
TM73
X/Y TM73

Effects

Thunder Wave paralyzes the opponent. Paralyzed Pokémon have a 25% chance of not being able to attack, and their Speed is decreased by 75%.

Electric type Pokémon, those with the ability Limber or those behind a Substitute cannot be paralyzed.

Move target

Foe
Foe
Foe
User
Ally
Ally

Targets a single adjacent Pokemon.

Game descriptions

Gold/Silver
Crystal
A move that may cause paralysis.
Ruby/Sapphire
Emerald
A weak jolt of electricity that paralyzes the foe.
FireRed/LeafGreen A weak electric shock that is sure to cause paralysis if it hits.
Diamond/Pearl
Platinum
HeartGold/SoulSilver
A weak electric charge is launched at the foe. It causes paralysis if it hits.
Black/White
Black 2/White 2
A weak electric charge is launched at the target. It causes paralysis if it hits.
X/Y The user launches a weak jolt of electricity that paralyzes the target.

Learnt by level up

These Pokémon learn Thunder Wave at the level specified. The numbers given are for Pokémon X & Y and may vary in other games; check the respective Pokédex pages for details.

Pikachu
#025 / Electric
Level 13
Magnemite
#081 / Electric · Steel
Level 15
Magneton
#082 / Electric · Steel
Level 15
Electabuzz
#125 / Electric
Level 19
Jolteon
#135 / Electric
Level 33
Zapdos
#145 / Electric · Flying
Level 8
Dratini
#147 / Dragon
Level 5
Dragonair
#148 / Dragon
Level 1
Dragonair
#148 / Dragon
Level 5
Dragonite
#149 / Dragon · Flying
Level 1
Dragonite
#149 / Dragon · Flying
Level 5
Chinchou
#170 / Water · Electric
Level 6
Lanturn
#171 / Water · Electric
Level 1
Lanturn
#171 / Water · Electric
Level 6
Pichu
#172 / Electric
Level 13
Mareep
#179 / Electric
Level 4
Flaaffy
#180 / Electric
Level 1
Flaaffy
#180 / Electric
Level 4
Ampharos
#181 / Electric
Level 1
Ampharos
#181 / Electric
Level 4
Elekid
#239 / Electric
Level 19
Nosepass
#299 / Rock
Level 15
Electrike
#309 / Electric
Level 4
Manectric
#310 / Electric
Level 1
Manectric
#310 / Electric
Level 4
Plusle
#311 / Electric
Level 3
Minun
#312 / Electric
Level 3
Pachirisu
#417 / Electric
Level 33
Magnezone
#462 / Electric · Steel
Level 15
Electivire
#466 / Electric
Level 19
Probopass
#476 / Rock · Steel
Level 15
Rotom
#479 / Electric · Ghost
Level 1
Rotom
Heat Rotom
#479 / Electric · Fire
Level 1
Rotom
Wash Rotom
#479 / Electric · Water
Level 1
Rotom
Frost Rotom
#479 / Electric · Ice
Level 1
Rotom
Fan Rotom
#479 / Electric · Flying
Level 1
Rotom
Mow Rotom
#479 / Electric · Grass
Level 1
Blitzle
#522 / Electric
Level 15
Zebstrika
#523 / Electric
Level 1
Zebstrika
#523 / Electric
Level 15
Joltik
#595 / Bug · Electric
Level 4
Galvantula
#596 / Bug · Electric
Level 1
Galvantula
#596 / Bug · Electric
Level 4
Tynamo
#602 / Electric
Level 1
Eelektrik
#603 / Electric
Level 1
Helioptile
#694 / Electric · Normal
Level 31
Amaura
#698 / Rock · Ice
Level 5
Aurorus
#699 / Rock · Ice
Level 5
Dedenne
#702 / Electric · Fairy
Level 23

Learnt by TM

Rattata
#019 / Normal
Raticate
#020 / Normal
Pikachu
#025 / Electric
Raichu
#026 / Electric
Clefairy
#035 / Fairy
Clefable
#036 / Fairy
Jigglypuff
#039 / Normal · Fairy
Wigglytuff
#040 / Normal · Fairy
Abra
#063 / Psychic
Kadabra
#064 / Psychic
Alakazam
#065 / Psychic
Slowpoke
#079 / Water · Psychic
Slowbro
#080 / Water · Psychic
Magnemite
#081 / Electric · Steel
Magneton
#082 / Electric · Steel
Drowzee
#096 / Psychic
Hypno
#097 / Psychic
Voltorb
#100 / Electric
Electrode
#101 / Electric
Chansey
#113 / Normal
Staryu
#120 / Water
Starmie
#121 / Water · Psychic
Mr. Mime
#122 / Psychic · Fairy
Electabuzz
#125 / Electric
Gyarados
#130 / Water · Flying
Jolteon
#135 / Electric
Porygon
#137 / Normal
Zapdos
#145 / Electric · Flying
Dratini
#147 / Dragon
Dragonair
#148 / Dragon
Dragonite
#149 / Dragon · Flying
Mewtwo
#150 / Psychic
Mew
#151 / Psychic
Chinchou
#170 / Water · Electric
Lanturn
#171 / Water · Electric
Pichu
#172 / Electric
Cleffa
#173 / Fairy
Igglybuff
#174 / Normal · Fairy
Togepi
#175 / Fairy
Togetic
#176 / Fairy · Flying
Natu
#177 / Psychic · Flying
Xatu
#178 / Psychic · Flying
Mareep
#179 / Electric
Flaaffy
#180 / Electric
Ampharos
#181 / Electric
Aipom
#190 / Normal
Murkrow
#198 / Dark · Flying
Slowking
#199 / Water · Psychic
Misdreavus
#200 / Ghost
Girafarig
#203 / Normal · Psychic
Dunsparce
#206 / Normal
Snubbull
#209 / Fairy
Granbull
#210 / Fairy
Qwilfish
#211 / Water · Poison
Remoraid
#223 / Water
Octillery
#224 / Water
Porygon2
#233 / Normal
Stantler
#234 / Normal
Elekid
#239 / Electric
Miltank
#241 / Normal
Blissey
#242 / Normal
Raikou
#243 / Electric
Tyranitar
#248 / Rock · Dark
Lugia
#249 / Psychic · Flying
Ho-oh
#250 / Fire · Flying
Celebi
#251 / Psychic · Grass
Zigzagoon
#263 / Normal
Linoone
#264 / Normal
Ralts
#280 / Psychic · Fairy
Kirlia
#281 / Psychic · Fairy
Gardevoir
#282 / Psychic · Fairy
Nosepass
#299 / Rock
Skitty
#300 / Normal
Delcatty
#301 / Normal
Aggron
#306 / Steel · Rock
Electrike
#309 / Electric
Manectric
#310 / Electric
Plusle
#311 / Electric
Minun
#312 / Electric
Volbeat
#313 / Bug
Illumise
#314 / Bug
Spoink
#325 / Psychic
Grumpig
#326 / Psychic
Castform
#351 / Normal
Kecleon
#352 / Normal
Shuppet
#353 / Ghost
Banette
#354 / Ghost
Chimecho
#358 / Psychic
Absol
#359 / Dark
Regirock
#377 / Rock
Regice
#378 / Ice
Registeel
#379 / Steel
Latias
#380 / Dragon · Psychic
Latios
#381 / Dragon · Psychic
Kyogre
#382 / Water
Groudon
#383 / Ground
Rayquaza
#384 / Dragon · Flying
Jirachi
#385 / Steel · Psychic
Deoxys
Normal Forme
#386 / Psychic
Deoxys
Attack Forme
#386 / Psychic
Deoxys
Defense Forme
#386 / Psychic
Deoxys
Speed Forme
#386 / Psychic
Bidoof
#399 / Normal
Bibarel
#400 / Normal · Water
Shinx
#403 / Electric
Luxio
#404 / Electric
Luxray
#405 / Electric
Pachirisu
#417 / Electric
Ambipom
#424 / Normal
Drifloon
#425 / Ghost · Flying
Drifblim
#426 / Ghost · Flying
Buneary
#427 / Normal
Lopunny
#428 / Normal
Mismagius
#429 / Ghost
Honchkrow
#430 / Dark · Flying
Chingling
#433 / Psychic
Mime Jr.
#439 / Psychic · Fairy
Happiny
#440 / Normal
Magnezone
#462 / Electric · Steel
Electivire
#466 / Electric
Togekiss
#468 / Fairy · Flying
Porygon-Z
#474 / Normal
Gallade
#475 / Psychic · Fighting
Probopass
#476 / Rock · Steel
Froslass
#478 / Ice · Ghost
Rotom
#479 / Electric · Ghost
Rotom
Heat Rotom
#479 / Electric · Fire
Rotom
Wash Rotom
#479 / Electric · Water
Rotom
Frost Rotom
#479 / Electric · Ice
Rotom
Fan Rotom
#479 / Electric · Flying
Rotom
Mow Rotom
#479 / Electric · Grass
Uxie
#480 / Psychic
Mesprit
#481 / Psychic
Azelf
#482 / Psychic
Dialga
#483 / Steel · Dragon
Palkia
#484 / Water · Dragon
Regigigas
#486 / Normal
Giratina
Altered Forme
#487 / Ghost · Dragon
Giratina
Origin Forme
#487 / Ghost · Dragon
Cresselia
#488 / Psychic
Darkrai
#491 / Dark
Arceus
#493 / Normal
Victini
#494 / Psychic · Fire
Watchog
#505 / Normal
Lillipup
#506 / Normal
Herdier
#507 / Normal
Stoutland
#508 / Normal
Purrloin
#509 / Dark
Liepard
#510 / Dark
Munna
#517 / Psychic
Musharna
#518 / Psychic
Blitzle
#522 / Electric
Zebstrika
#523 / Electric
Woobat
#527 / Psychic · Flying
Swoobat
#528 / Psychic · Flying
Audino
#531 / Normal
Sigilyph
#561 / Psychic · Flying
Minccino
#572 / Normal
Cinccino
#573 / Normal
Gothita
#574 / Psychic
Gothorita
#575 / Psychic
Gothitelle
#576 / Psychic
Solosis
#577 / Psychic
Duosion
#578 / Psychic
Reuniclus
#579 / Psychic
Deerling
#585 / Normal · Grass
Sawsbuck
#586 / Normal · Grass
Emolga
#587 / Electric · Flying
Joltik
#595 / Bug · Electric
Galvantula
#596 / Bug · Electric
Ferroseed
#597 / Grass · Steel
Ferrothorn
#598 / Grass · Steel
Klink
#599 / Steel
Klang
#600 / Steel
Klinklang
#601 / Steel
Tynamo
#602 / Electric
Eelektrik
#603 / Electric
Eelektross
#604 / Electric
Elgyem
#605 / Psychic
Beheeyem
#606 / Psychic
Stunfisk
#618 / Electric · Ground
Pawniard
#624 / Dark · Steel
Bisharp
#625 / Dark · Steel
Durant
#632 / Bug · Steel
Deino
#633 / Dark · Dragon
Zweilous
#634 / Dark · Dragon
Hydreigon
#635 / Dark · Dragon
Cobalion
#638 / Steel · Fighting
Thundurus
Incarnate Forme
#642 / Electric · Flying
Zekrom
#644 / Dragon · Electric
Meloetta
Aria Forme
#648 / Normal · Psychic
Genesect
#649 / Bug · Steel
Furfrou
#676 / Normal
Espurr
#677 / Psychic
Meowstic
Male
#678 / Psychic
Meowstic
Female
#678 / Psychic
Helioptile
#694 / Electric · Normal
Heliolisk
#695 / Electric · Normal
Amaura
#698 / Rock · Ice
Aurorus
#699 / Rock · Ice
Dedenne
#702 / Electric · Fairy
Klefki
#707 / Steel · Fairy
Xerneas
#716 / Fairy
Hoopa
#721 / Psychic · Ghost

Learnt in previous generations only

These Pokémon can only learn Thunder Wave in previous games; check the respective Pokédex pages for full details.

Zangoose
#335 / Normal
Gen 3 — Move tutor