Pokémon Database - News & Updates
Welcome to The Pokémon Database! We believe in making Pokémon information as clear and easy to digest as possible.
On this page below you'll find the recent Pokémon news and updates to this site. Delve deeper using the menu above to find detailed Pokédex entries, attack stats, evolution chains and our thriving community of awesome Pokéfans who'll answer your questions. And much more besides!
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 01 September, 2016
The latest Nintendo Direct has just aired and it revealed a new Alolan form for Rattata. It is Dark/Normal type and has the ability Gluttony or Hustle. It's said that Yungoos was introduced to Alola to combat the Rattata population, but instead Rattata changed its type to scare off Yungoos.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 19 August, 2016
The Pokémon World Championships have just got underway and a new Pokémon was revealed in their opening ceremony. Crabrawler is a Fighting type crab and has the ability Hyper Cutter or Iron Fist.
UPDATE: TPCi have released a video showing off Crabrawler, as well as the Pokémon that were revealed last week in CoroCoro:
- Sandygast and Palossand are the sandcastle Pokémon. Their ability is Water Compaction, which raises the Pokémon's Defense when hit by a Water-type moves.
- Stufful is the pre-evolution of Bewear.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 18 August, 2016
At the Gamescom trade fair in Germany, a new Pokémon was revealed. It is named Turtonator and is Fire/Dragon type. An official English video has also been released:
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 11 August, 2016
The new Pokémon and Alolan forms leaked yesterday have now been officially confirmed in a new video:
The evil team is also confirmed as
Team Skull, with Plumeria and Guzma being two key members.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 10 August, 2016
Images from an upcoming official announcement video have leaked online. These all appear to be legit but are not 100% confirmed.
The fish with the school form is known as Wishiwashi and is Water type with the ability Schooling. The sea cucumber is called Pyukumuku and is Water type with the ability Innards Out. There is a new mushroom Pokémon called Morelull which is Grass/Fairy type. And Raichu appears to have a new Alolan Form: it's Electric/Psychic and has a new ability Surge Surfer.
We'll bring more details when we can. Here are the leaked images:
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 09 August, 2016
New Pokémon have been revealed in this month's CoroCoro magazine! English translations are due to be announced this Friday. Update 10/8: another new Pokémon has been revealed, continue below for more.
The first is
Yowashi, a Water type fish Pokémon that changes from Single Form to School Form.
The next are
Shirodesuna which are based on sandcastles and are Ghost/Ground type.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 01 August, 2016
New information has been revealed about Pokémon Sun & Moon! Here's the announcement video:
First it shows that several older Pokémon have new
- Exeggutor's new form resembles a palm tree, and is Grass/Dragon type.
- Vulpix and Ninetales become white and are Ice and Ice/Fairy type respectively.
- Sandshrew and Sandslash also become white (with Sandshrew resembling an igloo) and both become Ice/Steel type with the ability Snow Cloak.
New Pokémon are also revealed:
- Oricorio is a bird Pokémon that has a different form on each of Alola's islands. Baile Style is Fire/Flying, Pom-Pom Style is Electric/Flying, Pa'u Style is Psychic/Flying, Sensu Style is Ghost/Flying. It also has a new move Revelation Dance which matches its primary type. Its ability Dancer copies the opponent's
Dancemoves like Quiver Dance.
- Minior is a ball-shaped Rock/Flying Pokémon. Its ability Shields Down removes its rocky exterior to reveal a core inside, which can be one of 4 different colors.
- Gumshoos is the evolution of Yungoos
- Fomantis and its evolution Lurantis are Grass type and know a new move Solar Blade.
- Mudbray is the pre-evolution of Mudsdale.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 19 July, 2016
New Pokémon for the upcoming Sun/Moon games have been revealed!
The Pokémon are:
- Wimpod is a Bug/Water type. It has a new ability Wimp Out, which makes it switch out when its HP drops below half.
- Bounsweet is a Grass type. It has the ability Leaf Guard or Oblivious.
- Comfey is a Fairy type. It has the ability Flower Veil or a new ability Triage, which increases the priority of HP-restoring moves.
- Mudsdale is a Ground type. It has the ability Own Tempo or a new ability Stamina, which increases Defense when hit by an attack.
- Mimikyu is the Ghost/Fairy Pokémon revealed earlier this month in CoroCoro. Its ability Disguise acts as a Substitute for one attack.
- Bewear is the Normal/Fighting Pokémon also seen in CoroCoro. Its ability Fluffy halves damage from contact moves, but doubles damage taken from Fire type moves.
General News — 16 July, 2016
Pokémon GO, the augmented-reality smartphone game, is slowly being rolled out worldwide. It was released last week in Australia and New Zealand, followed by the USA just before the weekend. Due to the game's massive success and the resulting login/connection troubles, other countries were delayed while the problems were resolved.
The last few days saw a release in Germany and the UK, followed by most of Europe today. Specifically, players in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland can now download Pokémon GO!
It's believed that a release in France has been delayed due to the recent horrific attacks in Nice, but it should be available within a week. No word yet on Japan and the rest of Asia and other continents.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 12 July, 2016
Two new Pokémon have been revealed in this month's CoroCoro.
The bear Pokémon (left) is
Kiteruguma and is Normal/Fighting type. It has a new ability
The ghost Pokémon (right) is
Mimikkyu and is Ghost/Fairy type. It appears to take on the look of Pikachu. It has a new ability
We'll bring more details and localizations as soon as we get them.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 07 July, 2016
Junichi Masuda was a guest at the Japan Expo in Paris today, and has revealed a new Pokémon. Salandit is the first Poison/Fire type Pokémon, and has an ability Corrosion that allows it to poison any foe, including Poison and Steel types!
Here's the official announcement video:
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 01 July, 2016
The Pokémon revealed yesterday in Japan have today been announced with an English trailer. The website has also updated with details on their abilities and new moves, including the koala and dog Pokémon revealed last month in CoroCoro.
- Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy) is the
Land Spirit Pokémon. It has a new ability Electric Surge that creates an Electric Terrain on the battlefield. It also knows Natures Madness, which reduces the foe's HP by half.
- Charjabug (Bug/Electric) is the
Battery Pokémonand the evolution of Grubbin. Its ability Battery raises the power of allies' Special moves.
- Vikavolt (Bug/Electric) is the
Stag Beetle Pokémonand the evolution of Charjabug. Its ability is Levitate.
- Drampa (Normal/Dragon) is the
Placid Pokémon. It has the ability Sap Sipper, or the new ability Berserk.
- Bruxish (Water/Psychic) is the
Gnash Teeth Pokémon. It has the ability Strong Jaw, or the new ability Dazzling, which prevents the opponent from using high-priority moves like Quick Attack or Extremespeed.
- Cutiefly (Bug/Fairy) is the
Bee Fly Pokémon. Its ability is Honey Gather or Shield Dust.
- Togedemaru (Electric/Steel) is the
Roly-Poly Pokémon. It has the abilities Iron Barbs or Lightning Rod.
- Komala (Normal) is the
Drowsing Pokémon. It has a new ability Comatose which prevents all status conditions except Sleep.
- Rockruff (Rock) is the
Puppy Pokémon. It has the abilities Keen Eye or Vital Spirit.