Pokémon Database - News & Updates
Welcome to The Pokémon Database! We believe in making Pokémon information as clear and easy to digest as possible.
On this page below you'll find the recent Pokémon news and updates to this site. Delve deeper using the menu above to find detailed Pokédex entries, attack stats, evolution chains and our thriving community of awesome Pokéfans who'll answer your questions. And much more besides!
Pokemon X & Y — 31 July, 2013
A new Pokemon (which had been rumoured for a little while now) has been revealed in a new Japanese trailer video. It is known as
Oorotto in Japan. It resembles a haunted tree and is rumoured to be Grass/Ghost type. The video shows a horde of them appearing in battle:
The trailer, which can be seen below, also shows Fennekin using a new move, translated as
Glow Punch. It looks very similar to the other elemental punches like Fire Punch, but is likely to be a new type.
Also shown is an underwater battle, suggesting that Dive might make a return in a similar style to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.
Site Updates — 17 July, 2013
Congratulations! Your favourite website evolved into VERSION 3!
Welcome to the new Pokémon Database! This redesign has been a long time in the works, and has been developed in parallel with updates to the existing site (which at times was a pain in the butt). In many ways it has literally evolved as Scyther has been replaced by Scizor in the header.
Most of the site was redeveloped from scratch, and every page on the site has been reformatted (even if a lot of pages look very similar). We have also moved to a brand new server which should be a lot faster and fix some of the problems we have been having recently. Redoing a site from scratch also throws away a bunch of unused cruft in the coding behind the website and makes it a bit more streamlined.
One of the biggest changes is that the same site is also formatted for mobiles and tablets, using a process called
responsive design. If you are on a desktop/laptop you can try shrinking your browser window and see what happens! Along with this we have discontinued the
web app we made previously; it hadn't really worked for a while and was difficult to keep it up-to-date with the latest information. If you need a phone app that works offline I recommend the official one by The Pokémon Company. Search your phone's app store to find it. Or check out
Pokédex 3D Pro in the 3DS eShop.
And as if the new design wasn't exciting enough, we have a ton of new content!
- New base pages for every main series Pokémon game, listing the main features and changes. They are all accessible from the
Pokémon gamesmenu above. See Red/Blue for an example.
- A full, dynamic HM chart for each game, allowing you to find which Pokémon learn which HMs, e.g. Gold & Silver HMs.
- TM pages for each game, e.g. Ruby & Sapphire TMs.
- Gym Leader & Elite Four Pokémon for every game, e.g. Emerald gym leaders & Elite Four. The type section now lists major trainers of that type from all the games as well.
- Pokédex pages now have a short introduction to each Pokémon. This is a work in progress but it would not be possible without the fantastic help of our community! You can join in as well here.
- Incidentally, all the Pokédex pages have been redesigned. They now use fewer tabs in all the sections. The list of moves uses one set of tabs for the game list instead of tabs above every different method of learning moves. When Pokémon have forms, there are now only two sets of tabs (one at the top and one above the moves) instead of five.
- A new Size Pokédex in which you can filter and sort Pokémon by height or weight.
- A new competitive stat Pokédex which lists combinations of Pokémon stats such as Attack+Speed for physical sweeper, HP+Defense+Sp.Def for walls and so on.
- PokéBase has been upgraded. The main feature is a new
wallwhere you can post (public) messages for another user.
- We have also started work on an items section that has details for every usable item from the games. This is a big work in progress and will be filled out soon. For now it has some basic descriptions.
- A new About page with a bit of information about the site and our history. Plus a new simpler way to contact us!
I hope you enjoy the new site as much as I continually enjoy making it. If you spot any problems with the site, particularly on a mobile or tablet device, please let us know about it on Meta-Pokébase here. Thanks!
Now that the redesign is done we should have more frequent content updates. I want to continue to build the best resource for Pokémon fans on the internet, and develop a great community of Pokéfans here with a new forum coming soon. And lots more besides!
Pokemon X & Y — 12 July, 2013
New moves/abilities have had their names confirmed:
- Xerneas' ability is Fairy Aura which increases the power of all Fairy-type moves in battle.
- Xerneas has an exclusive move Geomancy, exact details not known.
- Yveltal's ability is Dark Aura which increases the power of all Dark-type moves in battle.
- Yveltal has an exclusive move Oblivion Wing, exact details not known.
- Topsy Turvy is learnt by Inkay, which reverses the opponent's stat changes.
- Draining Kiss is learnt by Spritzee, which restores half the HP drained to the user.
- Swirlix has a new ability Sweet Veil which prevents the entire team from falling asleep.
Pokemon X & Y — 11 July, 2013
Japanese magazine CoroCoro has leaked again, and with it comes new Pokemon and more information about X and Y! I will first point out that there are less than 100 days until October 12th, the release date of X and Y.
Onto the reveals now and the types of Xerneas and Yveltal have been disclosed. Xerneas is Fairy type and Yveltal is Dark/Flying type. Respectively they have the abilities
Fairy Aura which powers up Fairy type moves and
Dark Aura which powers up Dark type moves. Exclusive moves have also been revealed: Xerneas can learn
Geo Control and Yveltal can learn
Death Wing (translations).
Also on current Pokemon, Clauncher will be exclusive to Pokemon X while Skrelp will be exclusive to Pokemon Y. Honedge will have the ability No Guard, which ensures all moves it uses and all attacks it receives will hit. This means it won't have immunity from Poison-type attacks (although since it's part Ghost type they will be not very effective).
Next up, new Pokemon! No English names yet so these are all Japanese. First is
Goronda, and is the evolution of Pancham. The evolution method is apparently a new type we haven't yet seen, though details were not revealed. It has the ability Iron Fist. Second is a squid-like Pokemon called
Maika and third is its evolution
Karamanero. They are Dark/Psychic type.
Goronda, Maika and Karamanero
Next we have
Peroppafu, a ball of fluff. It is Fairy type and is exclusive to Pokemon X. It has a new ability that prevents your whole team from falling asleep (current translation:
Sweet Pale). It also has a new move
Drain Kiss. Below right is
Shushup, a pink bird. It is also Fairy type, with the ability Healer, and exclusive to Pokemon Y.
Peroppafu and Shushup
Pokemon X & Y — 06 July, 2013
Japan Expo in France this week, Junichi Masuda of Game Freak revealed a new Pokemon in a special pre-recorded video. The Pokemon is called Honedge and is Steel/Ghost type. It is based on a sword; an ancient soul is thought to reside in the sword.
We also see that Honedge can become unsheathed in battle. Earlier in the video, Mr. Masuda talks about France being the basis for the Kalos region and details the places he visited and drew inspiration from. The overarching theme of Pokemon X&Y will be
beauty. See the full video below.
Site Updates — 14 June, 2013
Just a short one here. First, don't forget to check below for previous updates with new Pokemon and details on Pokemon X & Y.
Next, we have a bunch of new content! I have completely rewritten our dedicated page for Pokemon X/Y with all the latest details. The new Kalos Pokemon have been moved to their own page as it was getting long. We also have a brand new videos page, showing all the trailers and clips that have been released so far!
Pokemon X & Y — 14 June, 2013
Nintendo have published another gameplay trailer showing the first gym in Pokemon X/Y. It's a Bug-type gym whose leader Viola is a keen photographer. (Continue below to see the video.)
The video also names the Pokemon announced by CoroCoro yesterday. They are, from left to right in the above image, Flabebe, Litleo, Scatterbug and Spewpa. The latter two form the evolution chain for Vivillon.
Litleo can learn a new move Noble Roar, which lowers the target's Attack and Special Attack.
Interestingly, Flabébé marks the first time a Pokemon's English name includes an accented character, and only the third time a special character is included (after Nidoran♀ and Nidoran♂). The e-acute adds further ties with France, on which the region Kalos is based.
Pokemon X & Y — 12 June, 2013
The fun never stops, eh? Even more news is leaking from CoroCoro. First up, new Pokemon. These two are known as Furabebe and Shishiko in Japanese. English names yet to be confirmed.
Furabebe (left) and Shishiko (right)
Furabebe is based on a flower and is Fairy type. It is 0.1m tall and weighs 0.1kg, making it the smallest and lightest Pokemon ever. Shishiko is based on a lion cub and is Fire/Normal type. It is 0.6m tall and weighs 13.5kg.
These two are the first two stages of Vivillon's evolutionary line and are called Kofukimushi and Kofuurai in Japanese. The latter's English name was previously revealed during E3 as Spewpa.
Kofukimushi, Spewpa and Vivillon
The first gym leader has also been revealed to be called
Violet and uses Bug types. (This fits with previous rumours that the first and second gyms would be Bug and Fairy.)
Your friends/rivals in the game are apparently called Callum and Serena.
Pokemon X & Y — 12 June, 2013
The Pokemon 'Roundtable' event at the E3 gaming conference has revealed more details on Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. I was tweeting during the event @pokemondb - don't forget to follow me on Twitter for more up-to-the-minute news.
From left to right - Talonflame, Clauncher, Skrelp
Here is a summary of the other news. Continue below to see pictures and more!
- A new battle type called Sky Battles. They are restricted to Flying type Pokemon or those with the ability Levitate. It's not known if there are any different mechanics (such as banned moves).
- A new battle type called Hordes. Occasionally a horde of up to 5 wild Pokemon will appear at once!
- Also a message seen in the earlier trailer said
the wild Helioptile you stepped on attacked,implying either a new method of encounter, or perhaps just slightly different text for smaller Pokemon.
- The environment and battle scene will change their look based on the time of day - i.e. battles will be a bit darker at night.
- A new communication method called Player Search System allows you to find other players locally or globally to battle and trade. Also integrates with the 3DS' friends system.
- A feature called Pokemon-Amie lets you bond with your Pokemon by petting and feeding them. It has been stated previously that Pokemon friendship would have a bigger role in X&Y so this feature may help your Pokemon become even stronger.
- As revealed earlier, Gogoat can be ridden around Lumiose City. At the roundtable it was revealed that Rhyhorn can be ridden in some rocky areas.
- All languages will be present on one game card, and you will be able to choose the language when you start the game.
- Effort Values (EVs) and Individual Values (IVs) will be made more obvious during the game, presumably similar to the Hidden Power checks in previous games, but in more detail.
Pokemon X & Y — 11 June, 2013
The Nintendo Direct presentation at the E3 games conference has just confirmed there will be a new elementary Pokemon type introduced in Pokemon X&Y - the Fairy type! This has been rumoured for a long while now, ever since Sylveon was revealed.
Sylveon is Fairy type, but also Jigglypuff, Gardevoir, and Marill have been confirmed to now be part-Fairy type (Normal/Fairy, Psychic/Fairy and Water/Fairy respectively). More Fairy Pokemon may be confirmed later.
Two new Pokemon have been revealed - Vivillon, based on a butterfly, and Noivern, based on a dragon (or more precisely a
wyvern). Three new moves are in the trailer - one called Boomburst as used by Noivern, a Fairy-type move called Moonblast as used by Sylveon, and another Fairy-type move called Fairy Wind as used by Gardevoir.
Noivern (left) and Vivillon (right) official artwork
The release date is also confirmed to be October 12th, 2013, worldwide. Watch the new official Pokemon X&Y gameplay trailer below.
Pokemon X & Y — 17 May, 2013
Hey folks, this post is quite late but we've got a lot of news for you! Plenty more details have been revealed about Pokemon X and Pokemon Y.
First up, the new region is called Kalos and is based on northern France. See map below. The large city (seen in previous trailers) is Lumiose City and is based on Paris. It includes a large tower not unlike the famous Eiffel Tower.
Next, four new Pokemon have been revealed:
They are, from left to right:
- Fletchling, Normal/Flying type, a small bird based on a robin.
- Pancham, Fighting type, is based on a panda.
- Gogoat, Grass type, is based on a goat. It was revealed that Gogoat can actually be ridden around Lumiose City.
- Helioptile, Electric/Normal type. It learns a new move, Parabolic Charge, which heals the user for half the damage it deals to opponents (basically an Electric version of Giga Drain).
The box art has also been revealed, and it looks great! It confirms that the legendary Pokemon Xerneas is available in Pokemon X, while Yveltal is available in Pokemon Y. Continue below for more images and a gameplay trailer.
Pokemon Events — 25 April, 2013
The mythical Pokemon Deoxys is soon to be made available to players of Pokemon Black 2 and White 2! Deoxys is one of the last remaining pure-event legendaries that has not been made available over wi-fi yet.
The event will start May 8th in America. No word yet on an end date or dates for other regions. Update: The event has been confirmed for most other regions as well.
In other news, Nintendo have recently released a short teaser video (continue below to watch) for the upcoming Pokemon movie that shows Mewtwo transforming into the new Pokemon that was revealed a few weeks ago. This heavily implies that it is in fact a new Mewtwo form, not a separate Pokemon.