I'm merely curious... what's a good reason to have Sludge Bomb on a Houndoom? I have some reasons that it could be inferior to, say, Flamethrower or Fire Blast.
- Poison-type moves are only super-effective on Grass-type Pokemon, in which Fire-type moves not only do the same, they are effective against more types and are boosted by STAB.
- It's ineffective on Pokemon like Ferrothorn or Scizor, whereas Fire-type moves not only hit the two examples, they do 6 times as much damage due to their huge weakness to Fire and STAB.
- It's lower in power to moves like Flamethrower.
- The only difference in side-effects are the chance of poisoning the target, where regular poison is practically the same as a burn, only without the reduction in Attack.
- It can't hit Shedinja. 'Nuff said. Heck, even Dark-type STAB attacks would work as well.
- It isn't boosted by Flash Fire, assuming the Houndoom has it.
However I see some good reasons to use it, but there aren't many.
- It can hit Pokemon with Flash Fire/Thick Fat/Heatproof/etc. or Pokemon like Ludicolo for more damage.
- It's more effective against Pokemon like Reshiram or Kingdra.
Any more good/bad reasons for a Houndoom to know Sludge Bomb? Like I said, I'm only curious.