You might have been doing it the wrong way. Here's the step by step guide you proposed:
- Visit the Gravatar page linked on your 'My Account' page, which I expect you have visited before.
- Create an account. To do this, click on the 'Log in' button and hit 'Sign up'.
- Enter your email address, username, and password, and any other criteria the page requires you to fill in.
- Once that's done, head to your email inbox and click the Activation email. Send the link, and you will be redirected to a page that says that your email has been confirmed. If that does not appear, and you receive an error, try again later or re-click the activation link.
- After that's all done, you're ready to go! Choose an image from your hard drive or internet etc. to choose an image, crop it, and give some time and it'll show up here on the DB! Also, the email you used to sign up with the DB must be the same one that you signed up to Gravatar with; or you image will not be displayed.
If you continue with problems, comment. I might be able to fix 'em. This site does not own Gravatar, so we can't actually fix any bugs or glitches, so you will have to ask the Gravatar site.