Hello and welcome once again to the most recent instalment of DB's quarterly competitive tournaments! Today I bring you sumwun's Generation 4 Sinnoh tournament, and while the glory of Gen 4 is long behind us, we can still play this for the nostalgia in the present day!
- All battles must be played in Gen 4 OU. This means that the Gen 4 mechanics would be used, and Garchomp and Manaphy are banned.
- You can use a Pokemon only if it's introduced in Gen 4 OR on the Sinnoh Pokedex. For example, Heatran and Scizor are both allowed, but Tyranitar is banned.
- Stealth Rock is banned (debatable).
- All battles should be conducted on the official PokéBase Showdown! server.
- Standard Smogon battle clauses apply.
- Ghosting is strictly prohibited. Ghosting is defined as giving any piece of advice to someone playing a game. Spectators may not influence a player's decisions, nor can players accept outside help during a battle.
- You are not required to have the same team throughout the tournament; you may swap out team members (or whole teams) between matches if you desire to.
- Agreements are allowed. For example, if you want to ban Heatran, and if your opponent agrees, you can play without it. Try to agree only if you're totally sure about it, as breaking agreements is frowned upon.
- Replays should be always be saved. Play on SmogTours if you feel that your memory might deceive you.
Please post all battle replays to the thread here, as a comment to the BA'd answer with the matchups (coming after the signups end). If a battle between two players is not conducted before the set deadline, then I will decide whether an extension will be granted or if a player will get the act win. You can also call act if your opponent failed to show up on time. More information about it is here (try reading before calling act).
I will be watching each replay to ensure these rules are followed, and should they be broken, the results will not be accepted and the battle must be redone. Further rule violations will result in disqualification.
Please read the guidelines for playing in tournaments before signing up!
For those interested in signing up, please post an answer below. Your answer should include your Pokemon Showdown username, your time zone, and what hours and days you will be available to battle normally. Remember that GMT-based time zones are different during daylight savings time! It would also be recommended to use a time zone converter for scheduling battles.
Additionally, please list any changes you want to make to the rules/format of this tournament. For example, you may want to ban an overpowered/meta-defining Pokemon, move or item that isn't a problem in the normal metagame, and/or unban Uber Pokemon that may be balanced under the new restrictions. If possible, at least give your input on the debatable rules which can be seen above. Explaining your decisions could be helpful. Also, please state whether or not you want the tournament to be single elimination or double elimination. For a quick rundown, double elimination puts people that lose into a separate bracket that takes place simultaneously as a the main bracket, making it so you have to lose twice to be eliminated from the tourney.
Here's an example of how to signup:
Showdown Username: assaultdestiny
Time Zone: IST (GMT +5.5)
Availability: Anytime in the weekends, 12 PM to 6 PM weekdays
Further Bans: None
Sign-ups will close on Friday, January 14th at 12:00 AM IST, and first round match-ups will be posted within 24 hours of closing.
Once you've met your opponent in the DB Showdown! Server, remember to challenge them using the code: /challenge gen4ou @@@ -stealth rock. Sadly all the banned Pokémon can't be banned through a custom command, so this would have to suffice. But if you wish to ban the banned Pokémon from the Gen 4 OU Viability Rankings through the code, let me know and I'll generate one. I'll check all replays, though, so there'll be almost no scope of "cheating".
Post on my wall or Discord DM me if you have any queries about anything. Good luck, and most importantly, have fun!