Pokémon Database - News & Updates
Welcome to The Pokémon Database! We believe in making Pokémon information as clear and easy to digest as possible.
On this page below you'll find the recent Pokémon news and updates to this site. Delve deeper using the menu above to find detailed Pokédex entries, attack stats, evolution chains and our thriving community of awesome Pokéfans who'll answer your questions. And much more besides!
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 19 July, 2016
New Pokémon for the upcoming Sun/Moon games have been revealed!
The Pokémon are:
- Wimpod is a Bug/Water type. It has a new ability Wimp Out, which makes it switch out when its HP drops below half.
- Bounsweet is a Grass type. It has the ability Leaf Guard or Oblivious.
- Comfey is a Fairy type. It has the ability Flower Veil or a new ability Triage, which increases the priority of HP-restoring moves.
- Mudsdale is a Ground type. It has the ability Own Tempo or a new ability Stamina, which increases Defense when hit by an attack.
- Mimikyu is the Ghost/Fairy Pokémon revealed earlier this month in CoroCoro. Its ability Disguise acts as a Substitute for one attack.
- Bewear is the Normal/Fighting Pokémon also seen in CoroCoro. Its ability Fluffy halves damage from contact moves, but doubles damage taken from Fire type moves.
General News — 16 July, 2016
Pokémon GO, the augmented-reality smartphone game, is slowly being rolled out worldwide. It was released last week in Australia and New Zealand, followed by the USA just before the weekend. Due to the game's massive success and the resulting login/connection troubles, other countries were delayed while the problems were resolved.
The last few days saw a release in Germany and the UK, followed by most of Europe today. Specifically, players in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland can now download Pokémon GO!
It's believed that a release in France has been delayed due to the recent horrific attacks in Nice, but it should be available within a week. No word yet on Japan and the rest of Asia and other continents.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 12 July, 2016
Two new Pokémon have been revealed in this month's CoroCoro.
The bear Pokémon (left) is
Kiteruguma and is Normal/Fighting type. It has a new ability
The ghost Pokémon (right) is
Mimikkyu and is Ghost/Fairy type. It appears to take on the look of Pikachu. It has a new ability
We'll bring more details and localizations as soon as we get them.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 07 July, 2016
Junichi Masuda was a guest at the Japan Expo in Paris today, and has revealed a new Pokémon. Salandit is the first Poison/Fire type Pokémon, and has an ability Corrosion that allows it to poison any foe, including Poison and Steel types!
Here's the official announcement video:
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 01 July, 2016
The Pokémon revealed yesterday in Japan have today been announced with an English trailer. The website has also updated with details on their abilities and new moves, including the koala and dog Pokémon revealed last month in CoroCoro.
- Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy) is the
Land Spirit Pokémon. It has a new ability Electric Surge that creates an Electric Terrain on the battlefield. It also knows Natures Madness, which reduces the foe's HP by half.
- Charjabug (Bug/Electric) is the
Battery Pokémonand the evolution of Grubbin. Its ability Battery raises the power of allies' Special moves.
- Vikavolt (Bug/Electric) is the
Stag Beetle Pokémonand the evolution of Charjabug. Its ability is Levitate.
- Drampa (Normal/Dragon) is the
Placid Pokémon. It has the ability Sap Sipper, or the new ability Berserk.
- Bruxish (Water/Psychic) is the
Gnash Teeth Pokémon. It has the ability Strong Jaw, or the new ability Dazzling, which prevents the opponent from using high-priority moves like Quick Attack or Extremespeed.
- Cutiefly (Bug/Fairy) is the
Bee Fly Pokémon. Its ability is Honey Gather or Shield Dust.
- Togedemaru (Electric/Steel) is the
Roly-Poly Pokémon. It has the abilities Iron Barbs or Lightning Rod.
- Komala (Normal) is the
Drowsing Pokémon. It has a new ability Comatose which prevents all status conditions except Sleep.
- Rockruff (Rock) is the
Puppy Pokémon. It has the abilities Keen Eye or Vital Spirit.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 30 June, 2016
Several new Pokémon have been revealed in an official video from Pokémon Japan. They are, in order:
- Tapu Koko, an Electric/Fairy type.
- Charjabug, a Bug/Electric type.
- Vikavolt, a Bug/Electric type and the evolution of Charjabug.
- Drampa, a Normal/Dragon type.
- Bruxish, a Water/Psychic type fish Pokémon.
- Cutiefly, a Bug/Fairy type.
- Togedemaru, an Electric/Steel type.
Here's the video. We'll bring you the English version as soon as it's released.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 14 June, 2016
Following the Nintendo Treehouse event, a new official video has been released showing Pikipek and Yungoos, plus a new Pokémon, Grubbin. The latter is perhaps an early-route Pokémon that was not encountered during the E3 demo.
Pikipek can have the ability Keen Eye or Skill Link. Yungoos can have the ability Stakeout or Strong Jaw. Grubbin has the ability Swarm.
The video finishes with some details about
Battle Royal which was shown during the E3 demo.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 14 June, 2016
Nintendo has just finished its Pokémon event at the gaming expo E3. During the gameplay, two new Pokémon were revealed!
Yungoos and Pikipek wild encounter in Sun/Moon
Various other details were also shown during gameplay. See below for details and screenshots.
General News — 11 June, 2016
Some new footage of Zygarde has emerged from the Taiwan Pokémon Championship. It shows Zygarde 10% Forme transforming into Zygarde Complete Forme when its HP is low, seemingly using the Cell/Core Zygardes. It then uses a new move that scorches a 'Z' on the ground.
Update: an official video has been released. It showcases the moves Thousand Arrows, Thousand Waves, and Core Enforcer.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 11 June, 2016
Two new Pokémon have been revealed in Japanese magazine CoroCoro.
On the left is
Iwanko (Japanese name), a Rock-type dog Pokémon. It can have the abilities Vital Spirit or Keen Eye.
On the right is
Nekkoala (Japanese name), a Normal-type Koala Pokémon. It has a new ability that prevents all status conditions except sleep.
CoroCoro also hints that Iwanko and the Alola starters have a secret about them. Magearna is also confirmed to have a new ability
Soul Heart and a new move
We should have localisations from TPCi in a few days so keep checking back!
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 02 June, 2016
A new trailer has dropped for Pokémon Sun & Moon! This one features more details on the legendary Pokémon seen in the first trailer as well as the region and some of the main characters.
- Solgaleo is the lion-like Pokémon and is Psychic/Steel type. It has the ability Full Metal Body, which prevents its stats from being lowered. It has a new move Sunsteel Strike which attacks disregarding the target's ability.
- Lunala is the bat-like Pokémon and is Psychic/Ghost type. It has the ability Shadow Shield, which will make it take less damage when Lunala has full HP. It has a new move Moongeist Beam which attacks disregarding the target's ability.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 10 May, 2016
The Pokémon Company have today released a new trailer for the upcoming games, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. The trailer features the starter Pokémon, main legendary Pokémon that appear on the box, the region and some gameplay footage. Here it is:
- The region is revealed to be called Alola and looks quite tropical. It seems to be based on Hawaii.
- Starter Pokémon Rowlet, a Grass/Flying type owl Pokémon.
- Starter Pokémon Litten, a Fire type feline Pokémon.
- Starter Pokémon Popplio, a Water type sea lion Pokémon.
- Two legendary Pokémon without names: a while lion-like Pokémon, and a dark bat-like Pokémon.
- Sun/Moon will be released November 18th 2016 in America/Japan, and November 23rd in Europe.
Pokémon Sun/Moon starters - Rowlet, Litten, Popplio