This is a dictionary of many Pokémon terms and phrases. The Pokémon games can get very complex so this page hopes to demystify game mechanics, competitive battling and hidden data in a simple, easy-to-understand way.
- One of the six main Pokémon stats. The Attack stat controls how much damage Physical-category moves do. Prior to Generation IV, all moves of the types Normal, Fighting, Poison, Ground, Flying, Bug, Rock, Ghost and Steel were classed as Physical.
- Egg cycle
- Egg cycles determine how long an egg takes to hatch. For example, a Rattata takes 16 egg cycles to hatch. Each egg cycle is 255 steps, so a Rattata egg would need 4,080 steps in total to hatch.
Note: the current egg cycle is reset if you pick up another egg. If you walked 270 steps, that is 1 egg cycle (255 steps) plus 25 steps. If you picked up another egg, those extra 25 steps would be reset to 0 but you still have 1 egg cycle completed. Therefore, the
egg stepsnumber shown in our Pokédex is a minimum only.
- Egg group
- A set of Pokémon in breeding. Pokémon can only breed with those in the same egg group. Some Pokémon are in two egg groups. The
Undiscoveredegg group cannot breed at all.
- Hit Points (HP), one of the six main Pokémon stats. HP is your life force: when attacked in battle, your Pokémon will usually lose HP (though there are various exceptions). When your HP reaches zero, the Pokémon will faint. HP can be restored with certain items and moves or replenished at a Pokémon Center.
Note, HP is sometimes used to refer to the move Hidden Power.
- Hidden Machines (HMs) are special Pokémon moves that help you advance the gameplay. For example, early on in many games there are trees in your way that can only be removed after obtaining the Cut HM, and similarly for other areas such as water. Very few HMs are actually useful for battles. Surf is regarded as the best Water move (though Waterfall is the better option for Physical Pokémon like Gyarados). Strength may be a viable Normal move since more powerful moves have some ill-effect.
- Over-Used, a Pokémon battling tier. OU is the second-highest tier and most popular.
- Raised Pokémon are any Pokémon that hover above the ground - specifically Flying types, Pokémon with the Levitate ability or those under the effects of Magnet Rise or Telekinesis.
Raised Pokémon are not affected by Ground type moves, Spikes, Toxic Spikes nor Arena Trap.
Pokémon no longer stay raised (and cannot become raised) if Gravity or Ingrain is in effect, the move Smack Down is used against them, or Iron Ball is held.
- Special Attack
- One of the six main Pokémon stats. The Special Attack stat controls how much damage Special-category moves do. Prior to Generation IV, all moves of the types Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Ice, Psychic, Dragon and Dark were classed as Special.
- The top Pokémon tier, containing the very best Pokémon. Most Pokémon in the Uber tier are legendary
- Under-Used, a Pokémon battling tier. UU is the third-highest tier.