Pokémon Database - News & Updates
Welcome to The Pokémon Database! We believe in making Pokémon information as clear and easy to digest as possible.
On this page below you'll find the recent Pokémon news and updates to this site. Delve deeper using the menu above to find detailed Pokédex entries, attack stats, evolution chains and our thriving community of awesome Pokéfans who'll answer your questions. And much more besides!
General News — 24 June, 2020
Pokémon Presents has just finished airing, and it revealed a new Pokémon spin-off game called Pokémon Unite. Developed by Tencent Games and Timi Studios, it is a team-based multiplayer battle game for Nintendo Switch and mobile devices.
In Pokémon Unite there are two teams of five Pokémon. Each side has five
goals which the opposing team must reach to score points. Points are also scored by catching wild Pokémon along the way. Each controllable Pokémon starts at level 1 and can level up, evolve, and learn new moves as the match progresses.
The full presentation including some gameplay can be seen here:
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 17 June, 2020
The first part of the Expansion Pass for Pokémon Sword & Shield - The Isle of Armor - has been released. We're updating details as quickly as we can, and will list appropriate pages below.
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 17 June, 2020
Pokémon Presents presentation has just finished airing, and it revealed many new games and apps.
First up was
Pokémon Smile, a game for children to assist in brushing their teeth. Following that was
Pokémon Cafe Mix a puzzle game in which you take the role of a cafe owner and must fulfil their orders by tackling various puzzles. It is will be available for Nintendo Switch or smartphones soon, and is
free to start.
New Pokémon Snap - a follow-up to the N64 game Pokemon Snap from 1999. Pokémon live of various islands and you must take photos of them. The game is still in development and no release date was provided.
A recap of recent changes in Pokémon GO were mentioned. It was announced that Victini and Mega Evolutions will be coming soon to the game. Galarian Farfetch'd is also available now.
Finally, to celebrate the launch of the Sword & Shield Expansion Pass, Zeraora will soon be available in a special Max Raid Battle. If one million players beat it, a shiny Zeraora will be given out.
General News — 02 June, 2020
A new video has been released by The Pokémon Company. It features various Pokémon that will be found in the upcoming Expansion Pass for Pokémon Sword & Shield, and reveals the launch date for the first part - The Isle of Armor - is June 17th.
The trailer starts with Galarian Slowbro, and then shows various adventuring through the Isle of Armor area. It's revealed that Urshifu has two Gigantamax forms - one red and one blue, for its Single-Strike Style and Rapid-Strike Style. More of the second part of the DLC - The Crown Tundra - is revealed.
Details on the new Pokémon and forms were also confirmed in a separate press release (artwork below):
- Galarian Slowbro is Poison/Psychic type with a new ability Quick Draw. It has a signature move, Shell Side Arm which inflicts either physical or special damage - whichever does more damage.
- Regieleki is a new member of the Regi-family. It's Electric type with the ability Transistor. It has a signature move, Thunder Cage, which traps the opponent for 4-5 turns and deals damage each turn.
- Regidrago is another Regi. It's Dragon type with the ability Dragons Maw. It has a signature move, Dragon Energy, which deals more damage the higher the its remaining HP.
- Galarian Articuno is Psychic/Flying type.
- Galarian Zapdos is Fighting/Flying type.
- Galarian Moltres is Dark/Flying type.
- Urshifu's ability Unseen Fist allows moves that make contact to strike through Protect. Each form has a signature move: Single-Strike Style has Wicked Blow, while Rapid-Strike Style has Surging Strikes. Both moves have the same effect of always resulting in a critical hit.
- Gigantamax Urshifu also has two special G-Max moves: G-Max One Blow and G-Max Rapid Flow. Both can strike through Max Guard and Protect.
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 23 May, 2020
Four Galarian Forms from Pokémon Sword & Shield are available for players over the next four weeks! Galarian Mr. Mime, Ponyta, Corsola, and Meowth can be downloaded in-game using Mystery Gift > Get via Internet. A set of items can also be obtained each week.
The abilities and items are:
- May 22nd to 28th: Galarian Mr. Mime with the ability Ice Body, and the items Lure Ball, Moon Ball, Heavy Ball, Dream Ball.
- May 29th to June 4th: Galarian Ponyta with the ability Anticipation, and the items Level Ball, Fast Ball, Love Ball, Friend Ball, Beast Ball.
- June 5th to 11th: Galarian Corsola with the ability Cursed Body, and the items Sweet Apple, Tart Apple, Chipped Pot, Cracked Pot, Sachet, Whipped Dream.
- June 12th to 18th: Galarian Meowth with the ability Unnerve, and the items Exp. Candy L x100, Big Nuggets x50.
Be sure to get these gifts while you can!
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 09 April, 2020
Zarude learns this Grass-type status move at level 90. It heals the HP of Zarude and its ally, as well as curing any status conditions.
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 26 March, 2020
A new trailer has been released for the upcoming Pokémon Sword & Shield Expansion Pass. It reveals the designs for the Galar starters' Gigantamax forms and their exclusive G-Max moves:
- Gigantamax Rillaboom turns into a drummer with a full drum kit. Its G-Max move is G-Max Drum Solo.
- Gigantamax Cinderace sits atop a giant fireball. Its G-Max move is coincidentally named G-Max Fireball.
- Gigantamax Inteleon turns into a tall spiral shape. Its G-Max move is G-Max Hydrosnipe.
New trainer outfits and league cards will be available, and the trailer shows several interactions with Kubfu, the new Pokémon that will be your partner in the first part of the Expansion Pass, The Isle of Armor.
General News — 27 February, 2020
The Pokémon Company has revealed the results of Google's
Pokémon of the Year vote that ran a few weeks ago. We'll get to that shortly but following the top 10 countdown they revealed a new Mythical Pokémon, Zarude.
Zarude is Dark/Grass type and has the ability Leaf Guard. It's known as the
Rogue Monkey Pokémon, is 1.8m tall and weighs 70kg. A video showing it in action has been released:
Now on to the
Pokémon of the Year results. The top 10 are revealed in this video from Pokémon Japan and are listed below.
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 13 February, 2020
The latest issue of CoroCoro has leaked and it shows a silhouette of the new mythical Pokémon, which will be officially revealed on
Pokémon Day - February 27th.
Update 15/02: the official site has published a clear image of the Pokémon:
The Pokémon will appear in the new anime movie,
Coco, releasing July 10th in Japan. Interestingly, it has some similarities with a new character seen in the trailer for the film:
We'll bring you the official announcement as soon as it happens!
General News — 05 February, 2020
The Pokémon Company today announced several celebrations that will be taking place on
Pokémon Day - February 27th. We reported on some of these last week but more details have now been released as well as new features!
First up is a Pokémon of the Year poll. This is in collaboration with Google - searching
pokemon vote brings up a banner with several categories, and a vote can be cast in each of the categories. It starts today and the categories are the different regions from the Pokémon games. The voting lasts until February 14th and the winner will be announced on the 27th.
They further confirmed the reveal of a new Mythical Pokémon on Pokémon Day, and also officially revealed Gigantamax Toxtricity in Pokémon Sword & Shield.
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 31 January, 2020
The Japanese Pokémon website has announced various events will be taking place on February 27th, 2020 - aka
- A special Max Raid Battle will be held in Pokémon Sword & Shield.
- In-game events are planned for Pokémon GO.
- There will be a new announcement for the mobile game Pokémon Masters.
- A new mythical Pokémon will be revealed for Pokémon Sword & Shield, which will also appear in the next Pokémon movie
Coco. It's unknown whether it will require the upcoming Expansion Pass for SWSH.
Pokémon Day is celebrated on the anniversary of the original release of Pokémon Red & Green in Japan - February 27th. This year Pokémon will be 24 years old!
General News — 28 January, 2020
The Pokémon Company has announced that Pokémon HOME, the replacement for Pokémon Bank, will be released next month. The app will be available for Nintendo Switch as well as smartphone and comes with several features for transferring and trading Pokémon.
- There are two plans - Basic, which is free; and Premium, which costs $3/month or $16/year. With the basic plan up to 30 Pokémon can be stored in HOME at a time, while with Premium up to 6,000 Pokémon can be stored.
- Using the Switch version, players can transfer Pokémon between HOME and Sword/Shield.
- Pokémon can also be transferred to and from Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, however once a Pokémon has been transferred to another game (e.g. Sword/Shield) it cannot be transferred back to LGPE.
- Pokémon can be transferred from Pokémon Bank. Players on the Basic plan will have access for the first month, but after that it's limited to Premium plan users only.
- Pokémon can be transferred from Pokémon GO, though note this is a one-way transfer.
- Pokémon can be traded using the mobile app, either with friends, using the GTS for specific requests or Wonder Box for random trades.
- Pokémon HOME features a National Pokédex - any Pokémon transferred to HOME will be registered in the dex, including Mega Evolutions of Gigantamax forms. Pokémon can be searched for by ability and moves.
- Players on the Premium plan have access to a Judge function, which appraises the stats of a Pokémon.
- Points are accumulated for each Pokémon deposited in HOME. These can be converted into Battle Points for use in Sword/Shield or future games.