Pokémon Database - News & Updates
Welcome to The Pokémon Database! We believe in making Pokémon information as clear and easy to digest as possible.
On this page below you'll find the recent Pokémon news and updates to this site. Delve deeper using the menu above to find detailed Pokédex entries, attack stats, evolution chains and our thriving community of awesome Pokéfans who'll answer your questions. And much more besides!
Pokemon Events — 22 July, 2017
New Pokémon events are now running for Pokémon Sun and Moon! The first is to obtain a shiny Tapu Koko. This Pokémon has the moves Nature's Madness, Discharge, Agility, and Electro Ball. It is holding the Electric Seed item which increases its Defense during an Electric Terrain. It has a Timid nature and its usual Electric Surge ability.
A video has been released showing it it action:
Tapu Koko can be obtained via Nintendo Network, by going to Mystery Gift, then Receive Gift, then Get via Internet.
The next event is to obtain the Mega Stones for Tyranitar, Aggron, Manectric, and Abomasnow. To obtain the stones, go to Mystery Gift in the game menu, then Receive Gift, Get via Code, then enter the code
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 15 June, 2017
The Pokémon Company have announced more details for the mythical Pokémon, Marshadow. They're all details we've known for a while but they came with a short video showing Marshadow in action:
Marshadow will be distributed at cinemas in Japan with the newest movie,
I Choose You. It will have the moves Spectral Thief, Close Combat, Force Palm, and Shadow Ball, plus the Marshadium Z item. No word yet on international distribution.
General News — 13 June, 2017
Mr Tsunekazu Ishihara, CEO of The Pokémon Company, has just announced that a
Core RPG Pokémon game is in development for the Nintendo Switch console. The announcement came during the Nintendo Spotlight livestream at E3.
There was no mention of a name, or whether it is an entirely new game or remake/port, but Mr Ishihara said the game
may not release for more than a year suggesting a late 2018 or 2019 release date.
General News — 06 June, 2017
A new Pokémon Direct has just finished airing, which revealed three sets of new games:
- Pokken Tournament DX for Nintendo Switch, releasing September 22nd
- Pokémon Ultra Sun & Pokémon Ultra Moon for 3DS, releasing November 17th
- Pokémon Gold & Pokémon Silver for 3DS Virtual Console, also releasing September 22nd
Pokken Tournament DX is mostly the same as the Wii U version, but includes some newer Pokémon from Sun/Moon such as Decidueye.
News about Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon was limited, but there will be a new storyline and legendary Pokémon Lunala and Solgaleo both have new Formes, which appear to have parts of Necrozma fused with them.
You can rewatch the Pokémon Direct below.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 08 April, 2017
The Pokémon Company has today officially revealed Marshadow, the mythical Fighting/Ghost type Pokémon. A very short video was released with a glimpse of Marshadow in-game:
Marshadow will feature in the upcoming movie,
Pokémon! I Choose You! and will be distributed in Pokémon Sun & Moon at some point in the future (no word on distribution details yet).
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 18 November, 2016
Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon have been released worldwide today! I've been playing a lot of course, to gather information for the site, and I can say they are great. Reviews have been coming in from games magazines and the like, and they are very positive!
Of course, we have all the information you need to aid you in your journey. We have all the new Pokémon, moves, abilities, locations and more! Note that they are mostly being kept separate for now to avoid spoilers, so you won't see the new Pokémon on the main Pokémon lists. The locations guide is also a work is progress, as encounters are quite complex this generation. Here are some of the significant pages you might want to check out:
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 14 November, 2016
We're just a few days away from the release of Pokémon Sun & Moon, and more information has been revealed, mostly covering what was in CoroCoro magazine. A new video has been released:
Decidueye, Incineroar, and Primarina have exclusive Z-Moves Sinister Arrow Raid, Malicious Moonsault, and Oceanic Operetta respectively. New Ultra Beasts UB-03 Lighting and UB-05 Guzzlord are revealed.
Alolan Dugtrio, which can be seen in the Sun/Moon demo, is Ground/Steel type, as is Alolan Diglett. They can have Sand Veil or the new ability Tangling Hair, which decreases a foe's Speed when hit by a contact move.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 11 November, 2016
The final CoroCoro before the release of Pokémon Sun & Moon has been leaked. It shows two new Ultra Beasts which are version exclusives, and one mysterious new Pokémon (that looks like an Ultra Beast). It also finally reveals the starters'
secret they mentioned several months ago - they each have their own Z-Move!
The starters exclusive Z-Moves are used with their signature moves revealed last month:
- Decidueye: Sinister Arrow Raid, used with Spirit Shackle.
- Incineroar: Malicious Moonsault, used with Darkest Lariat.
- Primarina: Oceanic Operetta, used with Sparkling Aria.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 27 October, 2016
The final evolutions of the starter Pokémon in Sun/Moon have been revealed, along with the four guardians of Alola:
- Decidueye is Grass/Ghost and based on an archer. It has a unique move Spirit Shackle which prevents the opponent switching out.
- Incineroar is Fire/Dark and based on a wrestler. It has a unique move Darkest Lariat which ignores the opponent's stat changes.
- Primarina is Water/Fairy and based on a siren. It has a unique move Sparkling Aria which heals the burns of its target.
- Tapu Lele is the Guardian of Akala Island. It's Psychic/Fairy type with a new ability Psychic Surge which creates a Psychic Terrain.
- Tapu Bulu is the Guardian of Ula'ula Island. It's Grass/Fairy type with a new ability Grassy Surge which creates the effects of Grassy Terrain.
- Tapu Fini is the Guardian of Poni Island. It's Water/Fairy type with a new ability Misty Surge which creates the effects of Misty Terrain.
- Cosmog is a new Psychic type Pokemon with the ability Unaware. It shares a similarity with the legendary Pokémon Solgaleo and Lunala.
- Alolan Persian was also confirmed, and is Dark type like Alolan Meowth.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 18 October, 2016
A potential new Pokémon has been accidentally revealed on the side of an expansion pack collection for the trading card game. The product is listed on Amazon Japan; here's a close-up:
We'll bring more details if and when we get them.
Side note: don't forget that the Sun & Moon demo releases tomorrow (Tuesday) so there's a good chance more new information will be discovered in the coming days.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 14 October, 2016
New Pokémon have been revealed in the latest official announcement:
- Silvally is the evolution of Type: Null. It stays Normal type by default but its ability Rks System changes its type based on the held item. It also has a unique move Multi Attack that matches whatever Silvally's current type is.
- Hakamo-o is the evolution of Jangmo-o. It's Dragon/Fighting type and has the ability Bulletproof or Soundproof.
- Kommo-o is the next evolution and has the same type/ability as Hakamo-o. It has a unique move, Clanging Scales.
- Steenee is the evolution of Bounsweet. It stays Grass type with the Leaf Guard/Oblivious ability.
- Tsareena is the next evolution, Grass type and has the ability Leaf Guard or the new ability Queenly Majesty which appears to block priority moves. It also has a unique move, Trop Kick, which appears to be a Grass-type kicking move.
- Ribombee is the evolution of Cutiefly. It stays Bug/Fairy with the Honey Gather or Shield Dust ability.
- Alola Forms were confirmed for Grimer and Muk. They are Poison/Dark and have the ability Poison Touch or Gluttony.
Pokemon Sun & Moon — 13 October, 2016
Following the reveal of Alolan Grimer yesterday, the rest of CoroCoro has now leaked and reveals evolutions for Jangmo-o and Type: Null.
Jararanga (Japanese names) are the evolutions of Jangmo O and are Dragon/Fighting type.
The evolution of Type: Null is
Silvadi (Japanese name). It has an ability
AR System which works very similarly to Arceus' Multitype, allowing Silvadi to change its type based on a held item called
Memory. It also has a new attack that changes type based on the Memory.
There is more information due to be revealed tomorrow (Friday at 6m PT / 9am ET / 2pm BST / 10pm JST), so we may get the English names for all of the above.