Pokémon Database - News & Updates
Welcome to The Pokémon Database! We believe in making Pokémon information as clear and easy to digest as possible.
On this page below you'll find the recent Pokémon news and updates to this site. Delve deeper using the menu above to find detailed Pokédex entries, attack stats, evolution chains and our thriving community of awesome Pokéfans who'll answer your questions. And much more besides!
General News — 26 February, 2021
Pokémon Presents has just finished airing and announced two new games! The first is Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Pokémon Shining Pearl, remakes of the original Sinnoh games. They are in isometric 3D with a cartoony
chibi style similar to Pokémon Let's Go, or the recent remake of the Zelda game, Link's Awakening. The gameplay, however, is faithful to the original games (rather than Let's Go).
Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl are being made by ILCA rather than Game Freak, but is co-directed by Junichi Masuda from Game Freak (alongside Yuichi Ueda of ILCA). The games will be released in late 2021.
The second game announced was Pokémon Legends: Arceus. It's also set in the Sinnoh region but a very long time ago,
when the Sinnoh regions was still a vast wilderness. The graphical style is similar to Pokémon Sword & Shield and the gameplay appears similar to the Wild Area in those games.
In this game the starters you can choose from are Rowlet, Cyndaquil, or Oshawott - previously from separate generations. The aim of the game is to create the region's first Pokédex. Players will study Pokémon's behaviours and can seamlessly enter battle, to
provide Trainers with an immersive experience. It will be released in early 2022.
Here is the full announcement video, which also features a great retrospective of the last 25 years of Pokémon!
General News — 13 January, 2021
This year, Pokémon turns 25 years old! It all started in February 1996 with the release of Pokémon Red & Green in Japan. Today, The Pokémon Company have begun their celebrations. A fun video was released in which a Poké Ball makes its way through various dioramas, containing highlights of past Pokémon games.
It was also announced that there will be a year-long music collaboration with Universal Music Group called
P25 Music, headlined by pop star Katy Perry. There is a small hint of it at the end of the below video.
General News — 18 November, 2020
The first is that Pokémon from the Kalos region - Generation 6 - are coming to the game. Specifically Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, Bunnelby, Fletchling, and Litleo will appear in the wild or in eggs. Klefki will appear only in France. From December 2nd-8th they will be appearing more often. A
mysterious Pokémon will also be appearing in 1* raids.
Go Seasons were also announced. Pokémon appearing in the games will now follow the seasons in the real world (i.e. December will be Winter in the northern hemisphere and summer in the southern hemisphere). The Pokémon available in the wild/eggs/raids will follow the season, such as the Deerling forms. GO Battle League will also follow the season.
There is also a level cap increase to Level 50. For lower level players it will be easier to level up, while level 40 players will need to complete extra challenges in addition to gaining XP (see below).
Some events have also been announced:
- November 16th-24th: Cobalion, Terrakion & Virizion are in 5* raids.
- November 17th-23rd: Pokémon HOME event where various Kanto Pokémon are more common, plus Pokémon that can be Ditto. Shiny Slowpoke is now available! Shiny Meltan is available from the Mystery Box. The box can be received by sending a Pokémon to Pokémon HOME or Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.
- November 18th-30th: 12 Days of Friendship event, featuring faster increases in friendship and an attack boost in raids with friends.
- November 24th-30th: Lake Legends event with Uxie, Mesprit & Azelf in 5* raids. They are region-exclusive, but you can get ones from different regions using Remote Raid Passes, if invited by someone from that region. Pokémon commonly found near lakes will be more common, including Psyduck, Goldeen, Magikarp, Surskit, Starly, Bidoof & Shellos.
- November 28th: Limited Research event featuring Nidoran♀ & Nidoran♂
- November 18th-December 31st: Double XP for catching Pokémon!
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 06 November, 2020
Today the physical versions of Sword & Shield bundled with the Expansion Pass are released. The Pokémon Company have released a new video to promote it, which shows the new legendary Pokémon found in The Crown Tundra, Glastrier and Spectrier.
Official art was also released.
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 23 October, 2020
The second part of the Pokémon Sword & Shield Expansion Pass, The Crown Tundra, is now available! It features several new Pokémon and many returning Pokémon. We are of course updating the site as fast as possible. You can check out the links below for information:
(Spoilers after continue)
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 29 September, 2020
A new video has been released, providing more information on the upcoming Sword & Shield DLC, The Crown Tundra. The release date has been announced as October 22nd. For those that do not have Sword/Shield yet, a new bundle can be purchased with both the original game and EP being on the same cart; it will be released November 6th.
Every legendary from previous games will be available, the majority of which appear to be found in Pokémon Dens and can be battled in Max Raid Battles. Also announced was the Galarian Star Tournament where you can team up with notable trainers from Galar in a multi-battle tournament.
A new item, Ability Patch was revealed via the official site, which allows changing a Pokémon's ability to its Hidden Ability.
We also caught a glimpse of Galarian Slowking! Look out for it during the trailer or see the artwork below. Galarian Slowking has a new ability, Curious Medicine which resets all Pokémon's stat changes when it enters battle; and a new move Eerie Spell which deals damage and reduces the opponent's PP by 3.
General News — 24 June, 2020
Pokémon Presents has just finished airing, and it revealed a new Pokémon spin-off game called Pokémon Unite. Developed by Tencent Games and Timi Studios, it is a team-based multiplayer battle game for Nintendo Switch and mobile devices.
In Pokémon Unite there are two teams of five Pokémon. Each side has five
goals which the opposing team must reach to score points. Points are also scored by catching wild Pokémon along the way. Each controllable Pokémon starts at level 1 and can level up, evolve, and learn new moves as the match progresses.
The full presentation including some gameplay can be seen here:
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 17 June, 2020
The first part of the Expansion Pass for Pokémon Sword & Shield - The Isle of Armor - has been released. We're updating details as quickly as we can, and will list appropriate pages below.
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 17 June, 2020
Pokémon Presents presentation has just finished airing, and it revealed many new games and apps.
First up was
Pokémon Smile, a game for children to assist in brushing their teeth. Following that was
Pokémon Cafe Mix a puzzle game in which you take the role of a cafe owner and must fulfil their orders by tackling various puzzles. It is will be available for Nintendo Switch or smartphones soon, and is
free to start.
New Pokémon Snap - a follow-up to the N64 game Pokemon Snap from 1999. Pokémon live of various islands and you must take photos of them. The game is still in development and no release date was provided.
A recap of recent changes in Pokémon GO were mentioned. It was announced that Victini and Mega Evolutions will be coming soon to the game. Galarian Farfetch'd is also available now.
Finally, to celebrate the launch of the Sword & Shield Expansion Pass, Zeraora will soon be available in a special Max Raid Battle. If one million players beat it, a shiny Zeraora will be given out.
General News — 02 June, 2020
A new video has been released by The Pokémon Company. It features various Pokémon that will be found in the upcoming Expansion Pass for Pokémon Sword & Shield, and reveals the launch date for the first part - The Isle of Armor - is June 17th.
The trailer starts with Galarian Slowbro, and then shows various adventuring through the Isle of Armor area. It's revealed that Urshifu has two Gigantamax forms - one red and one blue, for its Single-Strike Style and Rapid-Strike Style. More of the second part of the DLC - The Crown Tundra - is revealed.
Details on the new Pokémon and forms were also confirmed in a separate press release (artwork below):
- Galarian Slowbro is Poison/Psychic type with a new ability Quick Draw. It has a signature move, Shell Side Arm which inflicts either physical or special damage - whichever does more damage.
- Regieleki is a new member of the Regi-family. It's Electric type with the ability Transistor. It has a signature move, Thunder Cage, which traps the opponent for 4-5 turns and deals damage each turn.
- Regidrago is another Regi. It's Dragon type with the ability Dragons Maw. It has a signature move, Dragon Energy, which deals more damage the higher the its remaining HP.
- Galarian Articuno is Psychic/Flying type.
- Galarian Zapdos is Fighting/Flying type.
- Galarian Moltres is Dark/Flying type.
- Urshifu's ability Unseen Fist allows moves that make contact to strike through Protect. Each form has a signature move: Single-Strike Style has Wicked Blow, while Rapid-Strike Style has Surging Strikes. Both moves have the same effect of always resulting in a critical hit.
- Gigantamax Urshifu also has two special G-Max moves: G-Max One Blow and G-Max Rapid Flow. Both can strike through Max Guard and Protect.
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 23 May, 2020
Four Galarian Forms from Pokémon Sword & Shield are available for players over the next four weeks! Galarian Mr. Mime, Ponyta, Corsola, and Meowth can be downloaded in-game using Mystery Gift > Get via Internet. A set of items can also be obtained each week.
The abilities and items are:
- May 22nd to 28th: Galarian Mr. Mime with the ability Ice Body, and the items Lure Ball, Moon Ball, Heavy Ball, Dream Ball.
- May 29th to June 4th: Galarian Ponyta with the ability Anticipation, and the items Level Ball, Fast Ball, Love Ball, Friend Ball, Beast Ball.
- June 5th to 11th: Galarian Corsola with the ability Cursed Body, and the items Sweet Apple, Tart Apple, Chipped Pot, Cracked Pot, Sachet, Whipped Dream.
- June 12th to 18th: Galarian Meowth with the ability Unnerve, and the items Exp. Candy L x100, Big Nuggets x50.
Be sure to get these gifts while you can!
Pokémon Sword & Shield — 09 April, 2020
Zarude learns this Grass-type status move at level 90. It heals the HP of Zarude and its ally, as well as curing any status conditions.