The second generation of Pokémon concludes with Pokémon Crystal, a remake of Gold & Silver. There were improvements to graphics and some new features, but the plot is largely the same.
|Platform||Game Boy Color|
|Japan||14th December 2000|
|America||29th July 2001|
|Europe||2nd November 2001|
|Australia||30th September 2001|
- Various graphical updates such as improved Pokémon sprites.
- The playable character may be male or female.
- In the Dragon's Den there is now the chance to receive a Dratini with ExtremeSpeed by answering some questions correctly.
- The Ruins of Alph has more common Unown and an extra quest.
- The legendary Pokémon Suicune is found in multiple locations throughout Johto, where it promptly flees until the Clear Bell is obtained.
- The Move Tutor is introduced, located in Goldenrod Game Corner, and can teach Flamethrower, Ice Beam or Thunderbolt.
- The Battle Tower is added. Three Pokémon are taken inside and you must battle against seven trainers in a row.
The Johto starters: Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile
Several Pokémon are not available during the course of the game, though they are available from one or more of Crystal's predessors: Gold/Silver or Red/Blue/Yellow, as noted below.