Serene Grace (ability)

Effect

Serene Grace doubles the chance of moves' secondary effects occurring - specifically stat changes, status ailments, or flinching. It also increases the chance of flinching due to the held items King's Rock and Razor Fang from 10% to 20% (however, note that those items do not affect moves that already have a flinch chance).

Serene Grace does not affect status moves or the Pokémon's critical hit ratio.

Examples

Shadow Ball normally has a 20% chance of lowering Special Defense; with Serene Grace it is boosted to a 40% chance.

Air Slash has a 30% of causing the target to flinch; with Serene Grace it is boosted to a 60% chance. If the item King's Rock is held it does not increase that percentage, but rather if the move does not cause flinching (40% chance), then there is now a further 20% chance the target will flinch from King's Rock. This means Serene Grace with Air Slash and King's Rock gives a total probability of 68% (1 - 0.4*0.8) that the opponent will flinch.

Changes

In Generations 3-4 Serene Grace does not increase the flinch chance of King's Rock or Razor Fang.

In Generations 3-5 Serene Grace does not affect the move Secret Power.

Game descriptions

Ruby​/​Sapphire
FireRed​/​LeafGreen
Emerald
Promotes added effects.
Diamond​/​Pearl
Platinum
HeartGold​/​SoulSilver
Boosts the likelihood of added effects appearing.
Black​/​White
Black 2​/​White 2
Boosts the likelihood of added effects appearing.
X​/​Y
O.Ruby​/​A.Sapphire
Boosts the likelihood of additional effects occurring.
Sun​/​Moon
Ultra Sun​/​Ultra Moon
Boosts the likelihood of additional effects occurring when attacking.

Other languages

English Serene Grace
Japanese てんのめぐみ (Ten no Megumi)
German Edelmut
French Sérénité
Italian Leggiadro
Spanish Dicha

Pokémon with Serene Grace

#
Name
2nd ability
Hidden ability
113 Chansey Natural Cure Healer
175 Togepi Hustle Super Luck
176 Togetic Hustle Super Luck
206 Dunsparce Run Away Rattled
242 Blissey Natural Cure Healer
385 Jirachi
440 Happiny Natural Cure Friend Guard
468 Togekiss Hustle Super Luck
492 Shaymin
Sky Forme
648 Meloetta
Aria Forme
648 Meloetta
Pirouette Forme

Serene Grace as a hidden ability