This is a dictionary of many Pokémon terms and phrases. The Pokémon games can get very complex so this page hopes to demystify game mechanics, competitive battling and hidden data in a simple, easy-to-understand way.
- One of the six main Pokémon stats. The Attack stat controls how much damage Physical-category moves do. Prior to Generation 4 (Diamond/Pearl), all moves of the types Normal, Fighting, Poison, Ground, Flying, Bug, Rock, Ghost and Steel were classed as Physical.
- Egg cycle
- Egg cycles determine how long an egg takes to hatch. One egg cycle is 257 steps (255 in Generation 4 or 256 in Generation 2-3), and each Pokémon has a number of cycles that must be completed. Every 257 steps this will decrease by 1 until it reaches 0, upon which the egg will hatch.
For example, a Rattata takes 15 egg cycles to hatch, so a Rattata egg will take up to 3,855 steps in total to hatch. Note that egg cycles are independent of when the egg is received; an egg cycle could be halfway through when picking up the egg so that number is a maximum.
In Generations 3-4 the current egg cycle is reset if another egg is picked up. Using the example above, if 270 steps were taken that is 1 egg cycle (255 steps) plus 25 steps. Picking up another egg at this point means those extra 25 steps would be cancelled, but 1 egg cycle has still been completed, so there are still 14 egg cycles remaining.
Also in Gen 3-4, the egg hatches at the end of the cycle after the counter reaches 0. So in reality it takes 16 cycles to hatch a Rattata.
- Egg group
- A set of Pokémon in breeding. Pokémon can only breed with those in the same egg group. Some Pokémon are in two egg groups. The
Undiscoveredegg group cannot breed at all.
- Also known as
Happiness, Friendship was first introduced in Pokémon Yellow for Pikachu only, then expanded to all Pokémon from Generation 2 onwards. It is a value ranging from 0 to 255; most Pokémon start with a base Friendship of 70 but several Pokémon start higher or lower. Pokémon hatched from an egg start with 120 Friendship.
Some Pokémon evolve when they have high Friendship (220 or more), and move tutors teaching special moves for starter Pokémon or Draco Meteor require maximum Friendship.
Friendship can be raised in several ways, including leveling up, using vitamins, holding a Soothe Bell, catching the Pokémon in a Luxury Ball or Friend Ball, and giving them a massage or haircut.
Friendship is lowered when the Pokémon faints in battle or bitter items (such as Energy Root) are used.
- Hit Points (HP), one of the six main Pokémon stats. HP is your life force: when attacked in battle, your Pokémon will usually lose HP (though there are various exceptions). When your HP reaches zero, the Pokémon will faint. HP can be restored with certain items and moves or replenished at a Pokémon Center.
Note, HP is sometimes used to refer to the move Hidden Power.
- Hidden Machines (HMs) are special Pokémon moves that help you advance the gameplay. For example, early on in many games there are trees in your way that can only be removed after obtaining the Cut HM, and similarly for other areas such as water. Very few HMs are actually useful for battles. Surf is regarded as the best Water move (though Waterfall is the better option for Physical Pokémon like Gyarados). Strength may be a viable Normal move since more powerful moves have some ill-effect.
- Icy Rock
A special ice-covered rock that enables Eevee to evolve into Glaceon when leveled up nearby. Icy Rocks are located at:
- Magnetic Field
- Mossy Rock
A special moss-covered rock that enables Eevee to evolve into Leafeon when leveled up nearby. Mossy Rocks are located at:
- Over-Used, a Pokémon battling tier. OU is the second-highest tier and most popular.
- Raised Pokémon are any Pokémon that hover above the ground - specifically Flying types, Pokémon with the Levitate ability or those under the effects of Magnet Rise or Telekinesis.
Raised Pokémon are not affected by Ground type moves, Spikes, Toxic Spikes nor Arena Trap.
Pokémon no longer stay raised (and cannot become raised) if Gravity or Ingrain is in effect, the move Smack Down is used against them, or Iron Ball is held.
- Special Attack
- One of the six main Pokémon stats. The Special Attack stat controls how much damage Special-category moves do. Prior to Generation 4 (Diamond/Pearl), all moves of the types Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Ice, Psychic, Dragon and Dark were classed as Special.
- The top Pokémon tier, containing the very best Pokémon. Most Pokémon in the Uber tier are legendary.
- Under-Used, a Pokémon battling tier. UU is the third-highest tier.