Pokémon Rate My Team
0 votes

Hey guys. new rain team here. I made this team after battling a SubCM Jirachi, and it's been working decently well; it lost 10 battles out of the 40+ games I played. Anyway, not much to say up here.

The teambuilding process:

Well, every OU Drizzle team starts off with a Politoed.

Since I wanted SubCM Jirachi on the team, it made the team :P

Ferrothorn was added to provide an Electric resist and hazards to help land KOs, as well as Leech Seed support.

Starmie was added to Rapid Spin and Specially sweep.

Dragonite came into my mind as a good Wallbreaker and synergizes with Jirachi very well.

I realized I didn't have a solid counter to the Therian forms and Dragons. Mamoswine checks them all, conveniently.

Starmie was replaced by Tentacruel because I had no reliable Special wall. It keeps the Rapid Spin support and stalls with Rain Dish.

Politoed (M) @ Choice Specs

Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

  • Hydro Pump
  • Ice Beam
  • Focus Blast
  • Hidden Power [Grass]

I wanted to try a Choice Specs Politoed, because I thought it would be nice not to run Defensive or Specially Defensive Politoed for a change. My EVs give me bulk, since I usually will be slower than my opponent, as well as maximum Special attack to score hits on the opponent. Hydro Pump hits insanely hard in the rain: after factoring the base power with STAB and rain boost (360 base power) as well as Politoed's Specs and maximum Special Attack, it packs quite a punch. It hits so many things hard, even though they have a solid resistor. Ice Beam nails Dragon type Pokemon that try coming in to take my STAB. Focus Blast nails Ferrothorn, mainly, a huge threat to my team. Hidden Power [Grass] allows me to take out Bulky waters.

Jirachi @ Leftovers

Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

  • Substitute
  • Calm Mind
  • Thunder
  • Water Pulse

With rain support from Poltoed, Jirachi loses its Fire weakness. SubCM is dangerous if you don't have the Pokemon to take out the Sub. Leftovers are here to provide my Jirachi recovery from Substitute. Substitute allows me to avoid statuses that are put at me. Calm Mind boosts my Special Attack and Special Defense, turning this guy to a very efficient Special Tank. Thunder is 120 base power, and it never misses in the rain. Plus, with Serene Grace, I get a 60% chance of paralysis. Water Pulse is a bit odd here, but it covers both of Jirachi's weaknesses, and is boosted in the rain. As an additional bonus, a 40% confusion rate adds to parafusion, barely allowing moments for the opponent to attack.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

  • Stealth Rock
  • Thunder Wave
  • Leech Seed
  • Power Whip

Ferrothorn's myriad of resistances is wonderful, and it synergizes well with the team. Leftovers provide recovery- when combined with Leech Seed, Ferro will be healing itself like no tomorrow. An Impish Nature is run to outspeed something after T-Wave. Stealth Rock sets my hazards, and guarantees some residual damage. Thunder Wave allows my slower sweepers, such as Politoed, to clean up the opposing team. Leech Seed heals vital Pokemon on my team, such as my Politoed, as well as itself. Power Whip is my STAB move, and hits pretty hard, even uninvested. Gastrodon is screwed when against this, and Gastro counters almost the entire team. As Spoink pointed out, I'm somewhat weak to Mamoswine, but Ferro can easily live a hit (barring Superpower) and retaliate with Power Whip.

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge

Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

  • Toxic Spikes
  • Rapid Spin
  • Protect
  • Scald

Originally a Starmie, Tentacruel was added due to the need of a Special wall. Tentacruel may not be good offensively, but its ability to Rapid Spin as well as lay down Toxic Spikes really helps my team. Black Sludge is a must over Leftovers, as Pokemon Tricking their Choice Scarves to me will not enjoy the damage they receive. Combined with Rain Dish and Protect, this guys is an absolute health whore. EVs allow me to maintain good Special bulk, as well as outspeeding 72 Spd Defensive Gliscor. Toxic Spikes poisons my opponent on the switchin, and it's nice to rack up the residual damage. Rapid Spin clears hazards from my side, greatly improving Mamoswine and Politoed's longevity, who are needed to win weather wars and take out key Pokemon. It also keeps Dragonite's Multiscale alive. Protect builds up my HP recovery, with Rain Dish + Black Sludge, and can be used to scout moves that take massive prediction, such as when a Mamoswine comes in. Scald is when I get Taunted, and is my STAB. It burns things, which allows Tentacruel to take stronger hits from the Physical spectrum. And its boosted by the Rain :3

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

  • Dragon Dance
  • Dragon Claw
  • Earthquake
  • Waterfall

Pretty standard Dragonite here. I'm considering Lum Berry over Leftovers, because lately, I'm getting haxed all over the place. But Leftovers allows me to get closer to retaining my Multiscale, so I can take Ice Beams :3 EVs are pretty simple. Maximum attacking power as well as being able to switch into Stealth Rock 5 times before killing myself if Tentacruel is down. Jolly Nature is here to outspeed things. Mainly some Rotom-W that try outrunning me with HP Ice in their arsenal. Dragon Dance is my main boosting move, bolstering my Attack and Speed, turning it into a dangerous sweeper. Dragon Claw is preferred over Outrage as my main STAB, due to it not confusing me. Earthquake provides me with coverage, and hits most Steel types that resist my Dragon Claw for damage. Waterfall is rain boosted, and just hits stuff. Can't really explain it :D

I've been considering a Mixed Dragonite over this one:

Dragonite (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Outrage

Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

  • Icicle Spear
  • Superpower
  • Earthquake
  • Stone Edge

See comments.

edited by
Your teambuilding process sprites are a bit screwed up methinks
I fixed it.
Doesn't adding tentacruel over starmie make you a lot weaker to mamoswine...?
Most Mamoswine are Choice Banded, Life Orbed, or Focus Sash+Endeavor. My own Mamoswine can deal with them, and Jirachi can spam Water Pulse.
Due to my descriptions being too long, I will post them here:

Almost nobody uses Choice Scarf Mamoswine anymore. Thick Fat lets me take Fire and Ice moves, which is nice. I went with Adamant over Jolly due to it not outspeeding anything vital with Jolly, anyway. This is one of the best counters to Gliscor and Multiscale Dragonite. Icicle Spear is the reason why. It breaks any Sashes, as well as breaking Dragonite's Multiscale and breaks Subs. Pretty sweet. And it is STAB, and nails the many Ice weaknesses present in OU. Superpower is my way to muscle my way around Steel types. And opposing Mamoswine. Earthquake is STAB and is used to get a neutral hit, most of the time. Stone Edge creates the infamous EdgeQuake combination with Earthquake, and provide perfect coverage with each other.
I didn't know +1 Dragonite was 'nothing vital' :p

Please log in or register to answer this question.