PokéBase - Pokémon Q&A
0 votes
166 views

Well... I want to use Dragonite on my online battles team, and it needs to be physical. Any suggestions?

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Ivs: 0 SpA
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

So Dragon Dance is there to boost his middling Speed and high Attack into an almost godly tier, with Extreme Speed for priority. Earthquake is, well, Earthquake, and Iron Head takes care of those pesky Fairies and Ice types. To be honest, I didn't actually think Dragon Claw was needed as all the moves it already has do the job. Multiscale is for a bit of longevity, with Leftovers further increasing that.

asked by
edited by
I'm not going to flag or anything but you should've put this in the 'Rate My Team' section.
No, RMT is for teams, right?
ya but he can state the team he is using the Dragonite in
Yea I thought so too. Im going to check rules now + see
Quote from basic site rules:

such as competitive battling (except teams),
https://pokemondb.net/pokebase/rules
so I was right?
No you were wrong. Said quote is from the PokeBase section
Why would you use Dragonite when you can use Salamence?

1 Answer

0 votes

No it is not. Here’s why. Dragonite is so slow that even with +1 Dragon Dance is still doesn’t outspeed many common threats with an Adamant Nature, Jolly would be better. According to you, you don’t need STAB, you need random very situational coverage moves, which is just not true. To put this is perspective, with STAB Dragon Claw has BP of 120. On the rare occasions you find a Fairy Type, Iron Head would have a BP if 160. In other words, about 80% of the time Dragon Claw does 40 more damage, and on the other 20%, Iron Head does 40 more. Also, worst of all, your PHYSICAL ATTACKER has 0 IVs in attack what are you thinking make it 31. Leftovers isn’t of much use on a DD sweeper, a Lum Berry is much better because it get some rid of burn and paralysis, things that shut Dragonite down much more effectively than Fairy Types. I hope this clears things up, please don’t use this Dragonite in online battles or you’re going to lose.

answered by
First of all, can I just point out that Iron Head is also super effective on Ice Types? And also the fact that his Ivs are in Atk
You don’t find Ice Types very often either. The main threat is random pokemon (like Greninja or Pheromosa) using Ice Beam. I have no idea what you mean by “and also the fact that his Ivs are in Atk”. Also you never shot down any of my other points so I’m assuming you agree with them? https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/dragonite/ read what smogon says if you don’t believe that Dragon Claw is 1,000x better than Iron Head.
Online battles and OU aren't same. Iron head isn't viable beacuse Ice and Fairy pokemon are rare in OU.