Welcome to the Wonder Guard tournament! As the name suggests, all Pokemon will have the Wonder Guard ability, which gives immunity to all attacking moves that aren't super effective. Making use of type coverage and residual damage will be critical in this format.
- No type changing (i.e. Trick-or-Treat, Camouflage, etc.)
- No damage-reducing berries (i.e. giving Jolteon a Shuca Berry)
- Magnet Rise, Air Balloon, and other moves/items that manipulate weaknesses are banned
- Ring Target is banned
- Gastro Acid is banned
- You may not switch out on consecutive turns
- (debatable) Weather is banned
- (debatable) limit on number of weaknesses (i.e. no less than three weaknesses for each Pokemon)
- Battles should be held on the DB Showdown server if possible
- The base format will be Gen8 OU (with some changes if it comes to that)
- In the event of a stalemate (neither player can damage the opponent), the player with more Pokemon wins, and if they have the exact same amount of Pokemon, the player whose Pokemon have a higher average % of Max HP wins
- Spectators can't influence any player's decisions and players can't accept outside help during a match
- You can switch teams throughout the tournament
- Matchups will be randomized every round
- Make sure you save your replays!
Guidelines for participating in tournaments
If you would like to sign up, answer below with your Pokemon Showdown username(s), your time zone, and the days and times you will generally be available to battle. Remember that GMT-based time zones are different during daylight savings time! It would also be recommended to use a time zone converter for scheduling battles.
Additionally, please list any changes you want to make to the rules/format of this tourney. For example, you may want to ban an overpowered/meta-defining Pokemon, move, or item that isn't a problem in the normal metagame, and/or unban Uber Pokemon that may be balanced under the new restrictions. If possible, at least give your input on the debatable rules which can be seen above. Explaining your decisions could be helpful. Also, please state whether or not you want the tournament to be single elimination or double elimination. For a quick rundown, double elimination puts people that lose into a separate bracket that takes place simultaneously as a the main bracket, making it so you have to lose twice to be eliminated from the tourney.
An example of a sufficient sign-up post would be
EST (GMT -4)
Available all day on weekends and noon-midnight on weekdays
Double elimination, ban heavy duty boots, allow weather, minimum of three weaknesses, switching in consecutive turns is allowed
After sign-ups close, I'll go over the votes and any changes that get majority support will be implemented. If two different suggestions are very similar they will be grouped together and the majority of that will be used if there's enough votes for it to be added (for example, if 4/10 want a minimum of three weaknesses and 3/10 want a minimum of two weaknesses the former will be implemented)
The deadline for signing up is Friday 6/11 at 12:00 P.M. GMT. You won't be penalized for signing up later so please think about whether or not you're committed to scheduling one battle per week before answering.
Once you've met your opponent on the DB showdown server, you'll need to challenge your opponent with a command so wonder guard can be added. Go to their username, click chat, and message them with /challenge [email protected]@@!obtainable abilities, -all abilities, +wonder guard, +cinderace, +darmanitan-galar, -heavy-duty boots or type /challenge (username), [email protected]@@!obtainable abilities, -all abilities, +wonder guard, +cinderace, +darmanitan-galar, -heavy-duty boots in chat. After any unbanned Pokemon are accounted for I will update the command in the Round 1 post.
Once the battle is finished, someone must upload the replay and send it as a comment to the thread (will be selected as BA once the tourney starts). I'll review the replay and make sure the rules were followed. If the winner broke the rules the first offense will call for a rematch, but I might DQ people who repeatedly break the rules.
If two players are unable to come up with a time to battle within a week, extensions may be given, but disqualifications will be given to players that fail to communicate or constantly fail to follow schedules properly.