Please check the guidelines below before posting on one of our moveset questions. Staff will remove responses that don't follow them.
- Only post competitive movesets, not in-game movesets for use during the main story. Movesets intended for the Battle Tower and similar facilities count as competitive movesets.
- Include ALL standard set details. This means item, nature, EVs, ability and moves. It is also helpful to mention your intended game mode; for example, Gen 8 Smogon OU or VGC 2020.
- Post your set as an answer, not a comment. This prevents clutter. Click the 'answer' button instead of the 'comment' button on the bottom-right end of the original post.
- Post one moveset per answer, so that others can vote on them separately. If you have multiple movesets, you can post more than one answer.
- Be descriptive. You can make a clearer, better-quality response by explaining your strategy, why it is effective, and when it's best utilised.
(Also make note of relevant guidelines from the standard rules list, such as to avoid duplicate answers.)
Please be aware that raw stats are not a substitute for EVs. If you're not well-acquainted with EVs and how to use them, then you should learn about them before giving advice to other people. Saying 'choose your own EVs' will not be accepted either, nor will illegal EV spreads (e.g. investments in excess of 510) or inefficient EV spreads (e.g. investing 149 EVs on a level 100 Pokemon).
These guidelines are more strict than they have been in the past, and so some responses are left over that break these guidelines. Flag them if you see them. However, they do not exempt you from the rules that apply today.
Here are some guidelines regarding moveset questions themselves:
- One question per final form only. Movesets for Pokemon that are not fully evolved belong on their final form's page. Some exceptions are noted below.
- You may not post your own moveset thread. This includes when the existing threads don't have something you like, don't suit your Pokemon's ability/nature, etc.
- You may not request movesets on moveset threads. Unfortunately, it's just bad luck if there's nothing on the threads that helps you. We enforce this to keep every thread organised.
n.b. We have separate threads for Alolan and Galarian form Pokemon, but not for other Pokemon with form differences, e.g. Meowstic or Giratina. In the past, we have also allowed separate threads for the Little Cup format.
The following is an example of a moveset response that enacts the above guidelines. It follows a Showdown-importable syntax, which has become a standard when sharing movesets for competitive Pokemon.
Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
- Dragon Dance / Defog
This moveset is for Gen 7 Battle Spot Singles. It is an alternative to the usual set-up sweeper Mega Salamence, utilising 95 / 130 / 90 defences and a decent defensive typing to deny prominent threats like Blaziken, Landorus-T, Breloom, and Excadrill. The combination of Intimidate and Mega Evolution will shut down most physical attackers, allowing you to use a support move. Roost makes Salamence survivable throughout the game and is a safe option for when it forces a switch. Dragon Dance decreases Salamence's passivity, allowing it to capitalise when it walls an opponent. Roar helps stop sweepers like Mimikyu, Blaziken and Gyarados, and Defog proves a worthy consideration that allows Salamence to clear entry hazards. The selected EVs prevent Mimikyu from getting an OHKO on Salamence at +2, or a 2KHO at +0. They also prevent Aegislash receiving a 2HKO from Shadow Ball.
(Updated Mar 2020 by Fizz.)